Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 3

Well it is day 3 in the hospital with Liam.  His procedure for part 2 of the pull through for his Hirschsprungs Disease went well.  We arrived at 5:00 am on Monday and he was taken back at 7:00 am.  The surgery was supposed to take any where from 1.5 - 3 hours.  However, the sugery took a little longer than expected.  He did not get out of surgery until around 12:15 - 5 hours later!  The portion of the colon that had to be removed was larger than expected, so the surgeon had to go up and release some tension further up so that we would not have any tightness. 



We have kept the pain to a minimum with doses of morphine in between his other pain meds.  For the first two days he has had nothing by mouth - only IV fluids.  He has been a real trooper, never even asking to eat.  He did get a little upset yesterday when he wanted something to drink, but we just had to devert his attention and he was fine.  He truly is the best patient ever!!

The first night my sister came up and stayed with me and brought Liam these...
Thank God for sisters!  In the midst of emotions and exhaustion from sugery, she takes my mind off of these things for a period and we talk and laugh - laugh a lot!  Thanks for always being there for me sis, I love you.
 
The next day my mom and dad brought Morgan, Mason and Lily up for a visit.  Liam could not wait to see them!  He has missed his brother and sisters very much. My friends Kim and Elizabeth came up and brought me lunch and hung out for a while.  Thanks girls for good food and good friends.  Fred stopped in before heading to Mason's parent/teacher conference and my mom and step sister and her family came up that evening.  I think the 3.5 hour nap that afternoon did him some good!
 


Liam slept through the night and woke up happy this morning.  After the surgeon came in this morning he released him to popsicles, ice chips and water.  He also had the catheter taken out and wants him to get up and move around.  Hoping to introduce more liquids tonight as long as he tolerates the other stuff today.  So far so good. My mom and Lily came by and visited this morning and brought Liam a cars balloon that he has not let go of all morning and is still holding onto it as he sleeps.  Thanks mom for bringing me coffee each morning and visiting with me.  Sure does help the time go by.  My mom is the BEST!  She arrives at my house at 6:45 in the morning and juggles the kiddos all day until Fred gets home.  On Monday and Tuesday she had my kids and my sisters kids with lots of running around.  I don't know what I would do without her. 



Thanks to all my family and friends that have reached out and called, texted, visited or reached out to us in some way.  It means so much!

1 comment:

  1. 5 hours- yep- that's a long one-- that's what matthew's was. i am amazed he's sleeping thru the night! can't imagine spending 3 days in the hospital-- i'd go stir crazy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete