Thursday, March 8, 2012

Update on Liam

We had Liam's urology appointment on Wednesday to check the condition of his kidneys.  Liam had surgery in China in August of 2010 to repair an obstruction in the ureter.  Upon our visit to the urologist we found out that one, the surgery they did was great and two although there was some damage to the right kidney, it is functioning properly and looks good.  He should not have any issues with his kidneys in his lifetime. 
Today we made our way to the GI doctor to find out what is going on with Liam's colon.  According to the pathology report that was done in China, Liam was diagnosed with Hirschsprung's Disease.  We will have a barium enema done on the 21st to see how much of his colon is affected.  With hirschsprung's disease there is part of the intestine that is missing ganglion cysts which help the intestines push out the stool.  Without these ganglion cysts, the intestine is unable to properly move stool through the body and therefore causes a backup and constipation.  Liam does have what I would consider normal bowel movements and does not appear to be constipated, so we are hoping that he has a very mild case.  Regardless, he will have to have surgery to repair the part of the colon that is not functioning properly. 
I have to say that after the doctor's appointment on Wednesday I thought we would not have surgery in our future for our little guy.  His kidneys were really my biggest concern.  It breaks my heart to have another one of my children have to have surgery, but I know it is what is best for him.  I know that God has him covered and He already knows the outcome, so I will rest in that and hold onto His promises.  Please keep us in your prayers on the 21st and that we get some positive results.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally believing he is having normal bowel movements because his colon is healed and he will be surgery free! Praises going up and lots of playing to do. We love yall!

    ReplyDelete